“Research Solutions, Inc. (RSI™) – Length of Operations – History – Geographic Scope of Services”
Research Solutions, Inc. (RSI™)
Length of Operations – History – Geographic Scope of Services
Published © 1979 – 2014 Quality Assurance Laboratories, Inc. / Research Solutions, Inc. (all rights reserved)
Published © 2014 Research Solutions, Inc. (all rights reserved)
Quality Assurance Laboratories, Inc. (QAL™) started computer operations in 1971 with mainframes and mini-computers (IBM, Burroughs, DEC) and has performed services for over 30 years in North America, Canada, South America, Europe and Asia Pacific Rim.
QAL was acquired by RSI, as a subsidiary, which in the present market place in the mid-to-late 1990s was responsible for the development and launch of the first AMD™ Athlon processor and its support, both domestically and internationally.
QAL was also responsible for validation testing of compatibility with collateral components and accessories as well as laptops. This worked in tandem with Microsoft WHQL testing process and became an industry standard for testing of peripherals, main components and software.
QAL was also responsible for the testing and validation of functionality standards with companies such as SMSC™ (now known as Microchip Technology Inc.), which produced the sub-chipset for Intel Motherboards for both work stations, servers and laptops.
Our company, Research Solutions, Inc. (RSI™) standards and range of services far-exceed the WHQL disciplines since it was working with many collateral manufacturing companies and providers who were dealing with validating functionality, compatibility and performance standards on a regular basis, both nationally and internationally.
These companies were highly concerned with the compatibility issues of their products with other components and peripherals, not to mention software issues. They need a company that would be able to perform validation testing on a very broad level covering hundreds of products and software programs.
QAL, from 1999-2002 developed AMD’s technical support center operations and their first technical support lab in Silicon Valley, California, USA.
From 2002, QAL developed standards focusing strictly on the vertical market place, including, but not limited to medical institutions and physicians, legal, financial operations. RSI, which has a strong presence with government agencies (e.g. Homeland Security, DoJ, DoD and other critical agencies) became a growing resource for them to address the growing needs of specialized equipment, software and services with our established backgrounds with them, which has grown into a major division of our company, especially expanding into the International agencies as well (e.g. OLAF). We are not viewed as salespeople, but as a true information and solution resource of highly experience and trained personnel that know and WORK within their disciplines giving us a major advantage over other companies and competitors that literally had no backgrounds with them.
With the massive growth in standardized computer applications and servers, QAL, with RSI and a sister company acting as the head of research and development operations, developed the first integrated manual and automated anti-fraud post-fraud operations (AFPFO©) and anti-threat post-treat operations (ATPTO©) policies, strategies, policies, systems and procedures which RSI is the leading expert in globally since 1978.
The acquisition of QAL by RSI allowed the needs of those in the vertical market place to be addressed by professional staffing and personnel that were not just salespeople, but skilled analysts and business professionals who each had disciplines in specific areas of the vertical marketplace.
This, in turn, allowed a true understanding of the client’s environment, its weaknesses and most important, the requirements that the client needed.
The production of high-end workstations and servers by RSI was complimented by a post-sales technical support staff/engineers that could maintain every system that would be sold and integrated into the client’s operation on a 24/7 basis, with critical response teams (CRT) being first responders to major IT disasters (both as a result of natural and intentional circumstances).
RSI offers both total IT solutions/security solutions, on a “proactive basis” with the ability to truly understand the clients’ needs “before” any item is ever purchased and integrated into the client’s business activities.
Clients of RSI range from small to large law firms, medical facilities and hospitals, governmental agencies and departments (both domestically and internationally) to name a few.
These clients, without question, had to have fully functional, on-line IT equipment, systems and procedures, meet compliance issues and finally which we secure as possible.
In addition, they had to have a disaster plan and policy that was “proactive” in structure and functionality, and people that would be trained in how to implement such plan WHEN a disaster would take place.
The combining of component validation, software validation and hardware validation along with a true understanding of the industry/business application(s) that such equipment would be going into allowed RSI to be able to capture a marketplace where there is no other competitors or businesses that are remotely close to what we have been able to do for over three (3) decades.
We strive to maintain a current rating and validation of all related computers, laptops, tablets, peripherals and accessories as well as operating systems, applications and utilities which is a major commitment of time and resources to keep up with an ever-changing industry.
Being able to evaluate, recommend and implement security and compliance requirements in IT operations is a major benefit for those who are governed by HIPAA, SEC and numerous governance and compliance regulations, both nationally and internationally.
RSI’s understanding of these requirements is one of our strongest disciplines, especially with our anti-money-laundering (AML) disciplines, fraud and threat assessment background which is internationally recognized as one of the top leaders globally in high-risk environments.
Computer Industry Services
Over the last two decades, RSI has recognized that its expertise regarding computer hardware and software, developed initially to provide advice to its general business and government clients, could be expanded to a separate set of services to the computer industry itself, particularly with respect to the growing need for hardware and software manufacturers to market directly to end users.
The growth of the Internet and e-commerce as a marketing and information tool provides both the opportunity and the necessity for technology companies to provide current information to their customers.
Consumer Engineering: Component Research, Testing and Certification/Validation:
Testing of interaction and compatibility of processors with combinations of motherboards, third-party components, peripherals and software.
- Operating system and application software interaction/compatibility
- WHQL testing submissions to Microsoft
- Quality Assurance Laboratories (QAL™) and RSI testing, rating, validation and certification services
- New product/version compatibility
- Subsequent product/generation releases compatibility
- Interaction with end-of-life (EOL) and legacy products
- Thermal, airflow and vibration testing and failure analysis
- System operation load stress analysis
- Functionality analysis and testing
- Server hardware and software analysis and testing
RSI compiles and analyzes meaningful statistical and anecdotal information regarding the interaction and compatibility of processors within a wide range of likely operating environments, both with respect to existing peripheral and software products and with the constant stream of new products.
This enables RSI to both to evaluate potential marketing of other relationships with manufacturers of such products and to provide useful recommendations to system builders and end users regarding what combinations of components, peripherals and software will reliably perform to acceptable standards.
For QAL/RSI’s combined three (3) decades of development, RSI has enjoyed the reputation of having many of its independently-researched, designed and developed tests, test procedures, auditing guidelines and quality assurance systems and procedures accepted as industry standards among many present component and software manufacturers in the United States and Internationally.
RSI has developed various certifications available to manufacturers of components and peripherals, as well as system builders and software developers. These certifications are based upon industry accepted independent testing and benchmarking techniques, systems and procedures. Our operation represents some of the most rigorous and aggressive testing procedures currently available in today’s marketplace.
Quality Assurance Laboratories (QAL™), a subsidiary of RSI, for over twenty-five years, has been a recognized and well-accepted authority in testing of system/system component and software testing, rating and certification. In addition, QAL/RSI is one of the only recognized computer forensic laboratories in the United States.
RSI has developed a battery of test programs that specifically focuses on thermal, vibration and airflow. In tandem with RSI’s general testing process, these additional tests allow unique stress testing, component or system failure testing and destructive testing not normally available to the industry. The results are:
- Defining and documenting actual mean time failure rates of components and systems
- Confirming reported mean time failure rates of components and systems
- True operating ranges of components and systems before failure
- Define case air flow/system ventilation standards as well as recommended operating temperature for components and systems
RSI has defined and designed quality assurance standards and programs for manufacturers and builders based upon their needs and requirements. This includes:
- Quality assurance program development, systems and procedures
- Internal product auditing and testing procedures
- Product certification or validation
- Defining what the true End-of-Life (EOL) is for specific products and software
Other aspects of RSI programs would also include:
- Competition intelligence
- Pre-deployment auditing
- Post-deployment auditing, compliance assessment and a full range of support functions
- Market preparation analysis
- Performance testing / Failure testing
- Environment Testing
- Comparative testing and analysis with competitors components/systems
- Establishment of in-house testing and validation operations for clients:
- Formation of in-house testing, validation and quality control programs
- Research, development and formation of lab facilities and operations
- Defining guidelines, scope and parameters of testing
- Research, develop and institute systems, procedures and manuals
- Training of testing, validation and quality assurance personnel and management
- Institute auditing procedures
- Research, development and deployment of recall systems and procedures
- Contingency/Disaster “proactive” planning
Server hardware and software analysis, testing and certification
This includes, but is not limited to the testing and analysis of:
- Server hardware
- Server software, operating systems
- Server collateral accessories
- Degradation studies and ratings
- Examination, analysis and testing of network operating systems including, but not limited to:
- SCO UnixWare
- Novell (EOL)
- Sun Solaris
- And many others
General component and peripheral testing, analysis and validation
RSI has established numerous testing and validation standards for newly released components, but addresses hard to define standards for legacy and end-of-line products as well. This is especially useful when planning to release a new generation product or system that will require component migration.
Over the past two and a half decades, RSI’s established testing systems and procedures are used exclusively by manufacturers, companies and builders who:
- Require a non-biased and realistic evaluation and rating of their products or systems
- Desire to know the limitations, weaknesses and attributes of their components or systems in relation to:
- Real time system operations with real applications
- Actual consumer environments
- Total system (collective) performance and reliability
- Hardware, software and performance stress testing
- Require auditing of their production or manufacturing for quality control purposes
- Need to make absolutely sure that their product will work in the environment it was designed for, and if not, why
- Must be able to supply critical operating specifications, limitations or requirements to optimize the performance of their components or systems
- Need to define the scope of performance of their components or systems with operating systems, application software and actual working environments
- Want to prove to their customers they have gone through the time, effort and cost to independently test, rate and validate their product to where they can provide evidence of it’s dependability, performance and compatibility testing, rating and validations of components, peripherals and accessories (both independently as well as collectively) includes, but is not limited to:
- Power supplies (i.e. standard, redundant, hot-swappable, etc.)
- Cooling devices (i.e. case devices, component devices, etc.)
- Hard Disks
- Solid State Drives (SSD)
- CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW, DVD (optical) devices
- Mass storage (both fixed and removable) devices
- Back-up Devices
- Graphic cards/adapters
- Video Capture Cards
- Sound adapters
- Network cards and collateral components
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Specialty components
- All related software and drivers for hardware components
Building of High-end Workstations and Servers
- Mission critical environments and operations
- Integration and upgrades of present systems
- Defining and implementing of system solutions
- Preventative Maintenance Programs (PMP™)
- Training and System Security Programs
In summary, RSI has a proven area for companies that need to:
- Provide on-going research and validation of their products
- Provide on-going research and validation of their compatibility with other components from other manufacturers
- Provide on-going-research and validation of software operating systems, applications and utility software with client primary components, peripherals and accessories
- Provide research, analysis and solutions for clients in the vertical marketplace, in the public sector, private sector and government sector (nationally and internationally)
- Provide “proactive” planning, policies, systems and procedures for IT departments for meeting compliance standards, and for disaster planning
- To provide high-end workstations and servers, as well as post-sale support on a 24/7 basis
- Have analysts who are “in” the industries and disciplines of our clients who work with, and understand the requirements of those disciplines
- We are an accepted industry standard for over three decades, from mainframes to tablets
Research Solutions, Inc.